Menu planning for the week’s meals and snacking accordingly can save time and money, leaving your willpower stronger when you feel like some naughty inclusions.
Generally, it’s easier to eat healthily at home with all the cupboards organized and everything at your fingertips. So here are five ideas for health and wellbeing while you’re out and about.
1. Chew Slooowwwly!
Many people eat as if they’re in a race to get the food in their stomach as fast as they can! They shovel the food into their mouth, chew for a few seconds and then swallow. What they’re not realising is that the process of chewing is actually a vitally important first stage in digestion - due to the effects of an enzyme in our saliva. Slow down and chew for longer and you should see an improvement in your digestion.
2. Don’t Eat on Autopilot
Commonly, when we eat at our desks, in the car or on the run, we’re not focusing on our food, but on our work or task at hand instead. This habit can lead to poor portion control, weight gain and digestive problems.
3. Eat at Regular Intervals
Skipping meals can cause drops in your blood sugar levels that lead to dizzy spells and lack of concentration. Make sure you head out of the house after having a good breakfast and a few snacks in your bag. Don’t skip lunch and don’t eat dinner too late or you won’t enjoy a good night’s rest! Remember your circadian rhythms can be affected by poor eating habits too.
4. Healthy Snacks
If you feel the need to snack between meals, first have a glass of water - people often mistake thirst for hunger! If you do need a bite to eat, go for something like fruit, crudités of vegetable, nuts, seeds or some tasty kale crisps. Beware that junk food doesn’t give you the prolonged energy flow you need to get through a busy day. After an initial energy rush, sugary food often leads to a drop in blood sugar levels causing the jitters, sugar cravings, a lack of concentration and lethargy.
5. Keep Hydrated
Your brain is at least 85% water so keep it hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. Offices, shops and some public transport with commercial air handling systems can be quite dry so make sure you’ve got a plentiful supply of water.
Caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea, energy drinks and some soft drinks are relatively harmless in small quantities. However, too many can cause dehydration and caffeine overload, leading to sleepless nights and underperformance the next day.
The more naturally occurring colourful foods on your plate will inevitably equate to a healthier body, remember to take portion control into that equation too! So, having your table or lunch box filled with the colours of the rainbow is definitely my idea of fuelling and boosting your body to help you feel more energized to take on everything life throws at you.
My rule of thumb goes like this: “Eat what’s within the rainbow around you. Aim for the 80%-20% rule - 80% really fantastic clean foods leaving you 20% for a little indulgence.”
Wishing you a Rainbow Day!
To buy a copy of Barbara’s cookbook Rainbow Recipes and find out more about her nutritional consultancy, visit: www.bcnutrition.co.uk
The Holistic Life Coach
Holistic & Natural Solutions for Health and Wellbeing